PREP & COOK TIME: 20 min + 1.5 hr chilling time
- 1 cup (250 mL) lady finger (savoiardi) cookies, crumbled
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) brewed espresso coffee
- 8 oz (250 g) semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) 35% whipping/heavy cream
- Finely chopped roasted hazelnuts
- To make the cookie mixture, combine crumbled cookies with espresso coffee in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a double broiler, melt chopped chocolate with mascarpone cheese and cream, stirring with a spatula. Don’t stir too much as you don’t want to add a lot of air to the mixture. Once the chocolate has melted, remove from heat and give it one soft stir to ensure the cheese is melted and incorporated.
- Mix the cookie and chocolate mixture together and refrigerate until firm enough to roll mixture into truffle balls, about 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator and use your hands to roll into 1-inch truffles. Roll the truffle balls in chopped hazelnuts until fully covered. Keep refrigerated. Remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving to allow truffles to become slightly soft. Can be stored in the freezer for up to 4 weeks.