- 1½ cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon zest
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 7 large eggs, at room temp
- ½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly grated lemon zest
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) pure vanilla extract
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9×9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, making sure it hangs over on each side.
- To make the crust, in a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, lemon zest, ginger and salt.
- Cut butter into chunks and add to flour mixture. Blend in with an electric mixer at low speed until mixture forms coarse, sandy crumbs.
- Pour into prepared pan and press mixture down with the back of a spoon into an even layer. Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until just lightly browned around the edges. Let cool.
- Turn up oven temperature to preheat to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, add flour, eggs, sugar, lemon juice, zest and vanilla. Whisk to combine, making sure to dissolve any lumps.
- Pour over prepared crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.
- Cut into squares and dust with icing sugar.
- Prep Time: 1 hour