Happy Canada Day to all of our Canadian readers!
Summer has officially kicked off with the first long weekend of summer! (Although, having the statutory holiday fall on a Tuesday makes for a weird long weekend).
Having the option of using an outdoor grill makes for a summer of quick meals with very few dishes. We will be sharing lots of quick and easy summer menus throughout the summer so you can have more time outside to enjoy this great weather and less time in the kitchen cooking and cleaning dishes.
Here is the first recipe – this is a very quick marinated steak sandwich served with a potato and avocado salad. Everything can be made ahead of time except for the grilling the steaks part! Serve up this menu with your favourite sangria or sparkling white wine and you have an easy but delicious and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed at lunch or dinner time.
We hope you enjoy this series of recipes!
Marinated Steak Sandwiches:
Serves: 2 – 4
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Note: marinate the steak 2 – 4 hours only
8 – 10 (3/4-1/2″ slices) of beef tenderloin roast or a good cut of beef. (I asked my butcher to cut the slices as thin as possible and to tenderize the steaks).
For the marinade recipe:
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 cloves garlic minced
For the optional balsamic fried mushrooms and onions:
12 fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced
2 onions sliced thinly
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup red cooking wine (Marsala is best)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
pepper to taste
4 slices Swiss Cheese (optional)
1. Either have your butcher cut the beef tenderloin slices for you or place the beef on a cutting board and carefully cut as many 1/2″ slices as you’ll need.
(Depending on the size of the beef you are slicing, I recommend using at least 2 slices of grilled steak on each bun to make a full sandwich.)
2. Place the sliced beef in a resealable plastic bag. Prepare the grilled steak marinade by mixing the ingredients above in a small jar.Pour the steak marinade into the bag, seal the bag and mix well so all the beef is covered. Place the bag in a shallow dish just in case the bag leaks and place it in the refrigerator for 2 – 4 hours.
3. Clean and oil the grates of your BBQ and preheat to 600F – 650F. When the grill reaches this temperature range remove the slices of beef from the marinade and place on the grill. Discard the steak marinade. Close the lid for about a minute. After a minute lift the lid and begin flipping the slices of grilled steak slices over. Important – these slices are only 1/2″ thick so they hardly take any time at all to cook. Close the lid and leave for another minute. Remove the grilled steak from the BBQ and place in a shallow dish and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm and to allow the juices to redistribute back into the meat. Keep the grilling going to toast the buns next. Split the soft panini or kaiser buns in half and put the buns on the hot grill. Don’t leave these unattended – they take less then a minute to cook. When they’re nicely toasted (and have those cool grill marks) then remove them from the grill.
4. Place the toasted buns on a baking sheet. Preheat your oven broiler to 500F. Place at least two slices of the grilled steak on each piece of toasted bun.
If using the mushroom and onions for topping this steak sandwich recipe then:
melt 1/4 cup of butter in a frying or sautee pan
add the sliced mushrooms and onions
when browned, add 1/4 cup red cooking wine until reduced
add 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar until reduced
sprinkle with a little fresh ground black pepper
Spread the cooked mushrooms and/or onions on top of the grilled steak. Lay slices of swiss cheese (or your favorite) on top of the steak, mushrooms and onions.
Place the baking sheet with this sandwich under the preheated broiler of your oven just until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Avocado Potato Salad:
What you’ll need:
5 medium yellow flesh potatoes, boiled, cooled and diced
1 large fresh Hass Avocados, diced
Extra-virgin olive oil
white wine vinegar
salt and ground black pepper
1/4 red onion sliced thinly
1. Boil or steam the potatoes until fork tender and let cool. Cut potatoes into 3/4-inch dice. Place the cooked potatoes into a large mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, and sliced red onion. Fold the dressing into the potatoes until well coated.
3. Gently fold in the sliced avocado so as not to mash the avocado.
Place the salad into the refrigerator, and allow to marinate. Serve cold.