Crepes are a great idea for a family friendly meal. Not only are they versatile with endless stuffing possibilities – whether it be sweet or savoury stuffings – they are very simple to make. Crepes can be enjoyed anytime of the day: for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner and of course for dessert!
This recipe puts some of my favourite Mediterranean flavours together to create a savoury and delicious crepe dish. I also add a quick and easy tomato chutney to this recipe, which will help you create an elegant dish in no time at all.
Irene for Daily Tiramisu
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup goat feta
- 4 cup baby spinach
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- To make crepes, in a medium bowl, whisk milk, eggs, butter and flour well until smooth. Refrigerate batter for about an hour to allow bubbles to subside to avoid crepes from tearing.
- To make tomato chutney, preheat oven to 450F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl add all the ingredients for the tomato chutney, season with salt and pepper and toss well.
- Place tomatoes on lined baking sheet with tomatoes facing cut side up. Roast for 20-25 minutes until slightly browned and caramelized.
- To make the spinach filling, heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until translucent. Add spinach and feta and cook until spinach has wilted and feta has slightly melted, about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking pan with parchment.
- To cook crepe, heat a small non-stick pan over medium heat. Add a dab of butter to coat. Pour 2 tbsp. of batter in pan and swirl to ensure it is spread thin and evenly. Cook for 30-40 seconds and flip over. Cook for another 10-20 seconds on other side. Remove and lay on flat surface to cool. Repeat with remaining batter. This should make 16 -18 crepes. Any leftover crepes can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for up to 3 -4 days.
- Divide spinach mixture and fill 12 crepes. Place on baking pan and top with tomato chutney. Bake for 10 minutes and serve immediately.