This is the base recipe that I use for all of my ice creams.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced and seeds scraped (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Place cream, milk, vanilla beans and seeds into a medium heavy-based saucepan. Heat until mixture just starts to simmer.
- Meanwhile beat egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale and thick. Remove vanilla bean from cream mixture and slowly whisk half of the milk mixture into the egg mixture. Then pour back into the saucepan.
- Return mixture back to low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour mixture into a heatproof bowl, fitted with a sieve, and put bowl with the strained ice cream base into a bowl with an ice bath. Cool the base to room temperature and then cover and refrigerate until well chilled (at least 5 hours or ideally overnight).
- Pour into ice cream machine drum and follow your ice cream maker’s instructions.
- Once mixture is frozen, transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 1 week.
- Prep Time: 5 hours 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Dessert