This is my favourite super simple dessert to make. The prep time is at most 15 minutes. The 5 hours cooking time is inactive cooking time – it’s basically the time this semifreddo takes to freeze. This dessert is light and creamy – the perfect fuss-free summer dessert!
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/3 cup amaretto liqueur
- 3/4 roughly chopped dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Italian Amaretti cookies, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sweet dark cherries, fresh or frozen, coarsely chopped
- Line a 9 inch by 5 inch loaf pan with plastic wrap, making sure to leave an extra overhang of plastic wrap at both sides as you will use this to cover up the semi-freddo and it will also help you remove the semifreddo from the loaf pan once it’s frozen.
- Separate the eggs, put the whites into a bowl. (Cover up the yolks and store them in your fridge for a day or two and use them for another recipe). Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the cream, sugar, Amaretto liqueur and almond extract until the cream becomes whipped cream. You don’t want the cream to separate so be careful — Start off by whisking at a high speed until the cream begins to get thick and then lower the whisking speed until you get a soft whipped cream.
- Pour the whipped egg whites into the bowl with the whipped cream and gently fold the egg whites into the cream.
- Fold in the cherries, cookies and chocolate pieces until evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into your plastic-wrap-lined loaf pan and cover the top of the semifreddo with the excess plastic wrap. Put into the freezer (on a levelled shelf) and leave to get frozen for a minimum of five hours.
- When you’re ready to serve your semifreddo, invert it onto a flat plate, discard the plastic wrap and top it with chocolate and cookie pieces as well as extra cherries. Cut it into slices and serve it immediately.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 300 mins