Making homemade sausage with my girls was definitely a memorable and fun experience for all of us. I used the left over sausage meat and pork bones to make a family favourite of ours ‘Sausage Meatballs in Herb Tomato Sauce with Lasagna Ribbons’. Nothing goes to waste!
6 quality Italian sausages casings removed
½ lb of lean ground beef
½ cup (125 mL) bread crumbs
2 tbsp. (30 mL) milk
½ small grated sweet onion
1 garlic clove minced
½ tsp (2.5 mL) fresh ground pepper
2 tbsp. ( 30 mL) fresh grated Parmesan
2 28 fl oz cans (796 ml) San Marzano diced tomatoes
1lb pork bones
2 large sprigs fresh rosemary
8 sprigs fresh thyme
6 large whole garlic cloves smashed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Fresh grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Roll mixture in to 9-10 meatballs. Place on lined baking sheet and bake until browned. About 15mins. Do not worry if the meatballs have not cooked all the way through as they will finish cooking in the sauce.
5. In the meantime, place tomatoes, pork bones, rosemary, thyme, garlic in a large heavy bottom pot. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat.
6. Once meatballs are ready, add them to the sauce and turn heat down to low. Simmer for 20 -30 minutes until sauce slightly thickness and meatballs are cooked through.
7. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a ½ tsp of salt. Cut each fresh lasagna noodle in three long strips. Cook noodles in too batches for 5-6 minutes. Drain noodles.
8. Place cooked lasagna noodles on a large platter and layer together to make accordion ribbon shapes. Top with sausage meatballs and sauce and serve with grated fresh Parmesan or Pecorino Cheese and your favourite crusty bread to mop up the sauce.
SERVINGS 4-6 | PREP & COOK TIME 1 hr