March is all about the beet. Not only are they tasty and delicious, they are an extremely nutritious food choice. They are high in vitamins and minerals such as potassium, magnesium, fiber, iron, vitamins A, B, & C, and folic acid just to name a few. In other words, they are really good for you! What better way to showcase these colourful beauties, then pairing them with citrus. The granola really adds a mild sweet crunch that brings all the flavours together!
(Psst..did you know that the beet is also natures aphrodisiac!?)
3 medium red beets with stem greens
3 medium yellow beets with stem greens
2 tbsp. dry white wine
Salt and fresh ground pepper
1 blood orange
2 spring onions thinly sliced
1 tbsp. honey maple granola
2 soft boiled eggs
1 tbsp. (15 mL) Dijon mustard
1 tbsp. (15 mL) juice from the blood orange
2 tbsp. (30 mL) white balsamic vinegar
½ cup (125 mL) olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place rack in middle of oven.
- Wash and scrub the whole beets. Trim off the stems (leafy tops) and ends of the beets. Wash and reserve the beet leaves.
- On a large baking sheet, place two large pieces side by side of aluminum foil. Place red beets on top of one of the pieces, in a single layer. Do the same with the yellow beets on the other piece of aluminum. Drizzle 1 tbsp. of wine on each. Season with salt and pepper. Place another sheet of aluminum foil on top of each of the beets and crunch up the sides of the aluminum foil together to seal and make a pouch.
- Place in the preheated oven and roast for 35 -40 minutes. Once done, carefully open foil to cool. Quarter red beets and slice yellow beets crosswise into rounds.
- Place eggs in a heavy bottom sauce pan and cover with water. Boil to your desired doneness, for soft yolk eggs 6 minutes and for hard yolk 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, cut peel and white pith from orange and discard. Slice blood orange crosswise into thin rounds.Take one of the slices and squeeze out a tbsp. of juice and reserve for dressing. Discard membrane.
- In a bowl, mix mustard with the blood orange juice, season with salt and pepper. Add the balsamic vinegar and then slowly whisk in the olive oil until the vinaigrette is smooth and creamy.
- On a round platter arrange a handful of the washed beet leaves. Arrange beets on top of leaves. Add the slices of orange. Scatter spring onions and sprinkle the granola evenly. Cut eggs in half and place on platter. Drizzle salad with vinaigrette and season with fresh ground pepper.
SERVINGS 4 | PREP & COOK TIME 50 minutes
Irene for Daily Tiramisu