It’s been about a year now since I tried the Vetri Pizza from Pizzeria Gema in Montreal — Homemade Mortadella, Pecorina, Pistachio Pesto, Quebec Mozzerella di Bufala. I fell in love with this pizza instantly. The flavours, the textures – it is really special. We are about 5 hours from Montreal so whenever the craving strikes, I had to try making this one on my own.
This is my spin on the Vetri pizza from Pizzeria Gema.
I added basil to my pistachio pesto since I have a ton growing in my chef’s garden. Other great additions to this pesto include mint and lemon zest.
This recipe makes way more than you need for the pizza, but it keeps well for about a week if sealed in an airtight container in the refrigerator and makes a great topping to pizzas, pastas or as a spread for bread.
Pistachio pesto is a labour of love – if you buy shelled pistachios, the price goes way up and they are pretty expensive to begin with. So, I bought them un-shelled and I got my boys to shell them and we had a pistachio party (coincidentally, they are all wearing green shirts – that was not planned).
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Let me know what you think if you try this or if you make it to Pizzeria Gema in Montreal and try their Vetri Pizza. Enjoy, pizza lovers!
Pizza with Mortadella & Pistachio Pesto
- Total Time: 22 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
Makes one large pizza, serves 6
- 1lb pizza dough, at room temperature
- 125–150 g mortadella, thinly sliced
- 350 g Fresh mozzarella di bufala, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup pistachio pesto (recipe below)
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.
- Butter the bottom of the pizza pan and then spread out the pizza dough until it covers the surface of the pizza pan and is of even thickness.
- Add a layer of cheese, then a layer of mortadella. Bake in your preheated oven on the middle rack for about 10-12 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Carefully remove the pizza from the oven and drizzle on the pistachio pesto and bake for another 2 minutes. Cool slightly and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
Makes about 2 cups pesto. Great to top on pizza, pastas or as a spread for bread. Add mint and/or lemon zest, if desired.
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- ¾ cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/3 cup finely grated pecorino romano cheese
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Add the pistachios, basil, garlic, oil and cheese to a blender or food processor. Pulse and blend until the pistachios are coarsely chopped. Add a little more if olive oil, if needed. Taste the pesto and add the salt, blending again if necessary. This makes almost 2 cups of pesto. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins