- Penne Alla Vodka
- 10 slices (375g) Good Quality Bacon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 oz vodka
- 4 cups (1 Litre) Tomato sauce
- ½ cup 35% whipping cream (put on the counter an hour before you cook)
- 450g Penne Rigate
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese + more for serving
- Garnish: Freshly torn basil leaves
- Put a large pot of salted water on high heat to boil.
- Heat a large deep skillet to medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the chopped bacon and fry it until it is lightly golden and crispy. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon and let drain on a paper-towel lined plate. Leave the liquid bacon fat in the skillet.
- Add the onions and garlic to the same skillet. Cook the onions until they are softened, about 6 minutes. Add vodka to the skillet to deglaze. Use a wooden spoon to stir the vodka and scrape any onions and garlic that have stuck to the skillet. Let everything simmer for 1 minute.
- If your water is boiling, add your Penne Rigate to the pot with the boiling water and cook to ‘al dente’. I like to use Penne Rigate because the grooves help keep the sauce on the pasta.
- Add the tomato sauce, stir and bring to a boil. Simmer it for 10 minutes. Slowly add the heavy whipping cream in a steady stream to the tomato sauce while gently stirring the sauce to combine the cream and tomato sauce together. The sauce should start to look pink and very creamy. Continue to stir until the sauce has come together, about 2 minutes. Add the Parmesan Cheese and stir. Add the bacon and fold it in with the sauce.
- Drain the pasta and transfer it to the skillet with the sauce. Stir to coat the pasta with the sauce.
- Serve immediately with some more freshly grated Parmesan cheese, freshly chopped basil and fresh and crusty Italian bread.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins