Yields 4 dinner portion servings 30 minutes to make
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 700g (about 1.5 lbs) Fresh portobello, shiitake and cremini mushrooms, cleaned with stems removed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3–4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, destemmed and chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, destemmed and chopped
- 1 pinch Red pepper flakes (or more if you like spice)
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup vegetable broth (beef and chicken broth also work very well)
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 350g dried egg pappardelle noodles
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil.
- While you are waiting for your water to boil, on medium-high heat, heat the olive oil until it is hot. Add half the mushrooms to the pan and let them cook to create space for the rest of the mushrooms. When you start to see them shrink and wilt, add the rest of the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. If you get a lot of water from your mushrooms, increase the heat so that the liquid evaporates. This also allows the mushrooms to caramelize. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until the mushrooms and wilted and golden brown.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the butter. Cook until the butter melts. Stir in the garlic and add in the rosemary, thyme and red pepper flakes. Cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Deglaze the pan with white wine. Cook off the alcohol in the wine for about 30 seconds and then add the broth. Let the broth simmer until it is reduced by half. Reduce the heat to low and add the cream. Stir and then keep the sauce warm on the lowest setting while you cook your pasta.
- Add the pappardelle to the pot with the boiling water and cook until al dente. When the pasta is cooked, using tongs, carefully transfer the pappardelle to the pan with the mushroom sauce. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle the parsley and toss to coat. Remove the pan from the heat and add 2-4 tablespoons of pasta water to the pasta and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Toss the pasta to coat with the sauce and serve hot. You can add more grated cheese on top to serve as well.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins