I am sure whether you are Italian like myself, or not, you have heard of a muffaletta sandwich. Alternatively, you may have seen one and thought “wow! what a great idea for a picnic.” You thought right because these are perfect to pack on a picnic and making the entire sandwich at one time and cutting it into manageable sandwich serving sizes makes this recipe even more perfect for summer. I often spend a lot of time mulling over what combinations I am going to put into my muffaletta sandwich and I sometimes end up over doing it. You have to have the right amount of toppings and the ingredients must compliment each other.
Here, I have simplified the muffaletta by putting together my favourite combination of cured meats and toppings. If you are taking this sandwich on a picnic, I suggest slicing it at home to avoid any mess and packaging it together by tightly packing it in a layer of wax paper then foil paper. When you are ready to eat, simply unwrap and grab a slice!
I hope I have simplified this traditional Italian picnic sandwich here for you. I want you to spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying your picnic or your dinner alfresco! Enjoy this beauty that is summer!
- 1 large loaf of Ciabatta bread
- 1 cup Mixed olives, chopped
- ¼ lb Soppressata
- ¼ lb Porchetta
- ¼ lb Smoked turkey breast
- ¼ lb provolone
- 16 oz arugula
- ½ cup Grainy mustard
- Optional: Hot Pickled peppers
- Slice the loaf in half lengthwise. Spoon on the olives in a single layer on one side of bread. Layer it with the soppressata, porchetta, smoked turkey and provolone. Layer the arugula. Before placing the top of the loaf on top, cover it with the grainy mustard. Press down firmly.
- Wrap the entire sandwich in wax paper, then cover tightly in foil. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve slice horizontally and serve at room temperature.