Summer is nearly over and the sound of the school bell is nearing closer and closer. I felt like I was in a groove in June with school lunches but now that we enjoyed the laid back schedules of summer, I feel like I completely lost that groove.
I’m sitting here with my pen and paper and writing down some of my go-to lunch and snacks, because it seems like so long ago that I had to pack a lunch. Keeping a list on the fridge of some basic ideas makes for a great reference when scrambling in the morning. When I try something new in their lunches, and it’s a winner, it makes it on that list.
One great main dish or a perfect pair with any sandwich or salad is corn. Kids absolutely go crazy for it, especially when it’s been kicked up a few notches with some flavours that may remind them of summer – like my recipe for Mexican Street Corn Cups featuring Summer Fresh Five Cheese Dip. This side dish is packed with personality and I guarantee that your kids will be asking you to add it to their best lunch list! This recipe is also completely gluten-free!
I’m sure you’ve seen Summer Fresh at your local grocery stores, they’ve been making Hummus, Dips and Salads from family recipes for 25 years! This recipe is really versatile too – if your child is a cheese lover, use the Summer Fresh Five Cheese Dip. For garlic lovers, use the Summer Fresh Tzatziki Dip. Either option is delicious!
This is one of my easiest recipes to date. Feel free to use whole cobs of corn and shuck them yourself…I’ll be here using the frozen (tastes fresh!) corn and using any extra time I have to enjoy a second cup of much needed coffee. Want to make this recipe even easier? Have the kids help out — they can even heat the corn in the microwave with the butter, then stir in the five cheese dip and other ingredients, add the toppings and pack it into a small container. It’s a great recipe to test their skills in the kitchen! Don’t forget to pack some baked tortilla chips to go along for scooping purposes.
I hope you and your kids enjoy this recipe for the exciting new school year ahead!
For more great lunch ideas visit the Summer Fresh Website.
- 12 oz corn, shucked
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 Tbsp Summer Fresh Five Cheese dip or Summer Fresh Tzatziki Dip
- 1 Tbsp finely crumbled feta cheese, plus more for serving
- ¼ tsp ancho chili powder, plus more for serving
- 2 wedges of lime
- Serve with tortilla chips for scooping!
- Optional toppings: chopped cilantro
- In a medium-sized skillet, heat the butter just until melted over medium heat. Add the corn and stir with the butter until heated through. Add the Summer Fresh Dip, feta cheese and chili powder and stir until well combined.
- Assemble your cups: Fill each mini cup with corn leaving about ½ inch of space from top for other toppings. Garnish each cup with more Summer Fresh Dip, feta cheese, ancho chili powder, and a lime wedge. Serve with the tortilla chips.
*This post and recipe was created in partnership with Summer Fresh and Daily Tiramisu and I have been compensated, however, and as always, all opinions are my own.