I recently made this recipe on Rogers TV DayTime York Region – check it out!
I absolutely love fun summer cocktails, especially when I can take the flavours of those cocktails and turn them into a great meal. I’ve used the flavours of a margarita in this margarita-marinated Chicken and added a fresh and delicious grilled salsa with it.
Grilling fruit is something I think we should do more often — it’s a great way to add flavour to a plain old fruit salad or salsa. Avocados take on an amazing smokey flavour when they are grilled and the mangoes become sweeter since when grilled, the sugars in the fruit caramelize.
I used Liberterre Chicken for this recipe because I love the taste. You don’t get that “leftover chicken” taste with Liberterre chicken, it holds its fresh and delicious flavour making for great tasting chicken every time.
I serve this as a full meal, the salsa can act as a side dish as well. Rice dishes also go well with this dish if you need the additional side dish. You can even cut up the chicken and serve it with the salsa on a fresh flour tortilla!
This fresh and fun dish is a great addition to your summer barbecue and pairs great with an ice cold beer or a margarita, of course! (Please, always be sure to drink responsibly!)
Enjoy! And, happy Summer!
- For the chicken:
- 2 lbs Liberterre Chicken Breast
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- ⅓ cup tequila
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Cointreau
- 2 med cloves garlic, minced
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
For the Salsa:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil + more for grill
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 3 ears corn on the cob
- 1 large mango, chopped
- ½ medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- Season your chicken all over with salt and pepper and place chicken in a re-sealable (gallon size) plastic bag and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients: tequila, oil, Cointreau, lime juice and zest, garlic and pepper flakes, except chicken, in a small bowl or measuring cup. Whisk to combine. Pour the marinade over the chicken, seal the bag and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 3-24 hours. Turn chicken occasionally.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Make the salsa, Peel mango and cut into large pieces and set aside. Pit and peel the avocado and cut in half lengthwise, set aside. Remove the outer husks from the corn and set aside. Rub the corn, mango and avocado with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the corn, avocado and mango until you have good grill marks all around and they start to become soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large, heat-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap until cool enough to handle.
- Finely chop the red onion, jalapeno and cilantro and add to a medium bowl. Add juice and zest of 1 lime. Chop the mango and avocados and add it to the bowl with the onion mixture. Shuck your corn and add it to the bowl. Drizzle the olive oil and incorporate all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill chicken about 4-5 minutes on each side. Serve with the grilled salsa and enjoy!
Notes: The salsa can be prepared up to 2 hours ahead.
*This post and recipe was created as part of a paid partnership between myself and Retail Ready Foods. However, and as always, all opinions are my own.