Eat your greens and beans, now with pesto. It’s the ideal way to start your summer with this garden-fresh recipe that you can make in no time flat. Per serving: 531 Cal. | 20 g Protein | 78 g Carb. | 16 g Fat | 6.0 g Fibre | 330 mg Sodium | 219 mg Calcium
- ¼ lb (115 g) each, yellow and green beans, trimmed
- 2 cups (500 mL) orzo
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen shelled edamame
- 4 tsp (20 mL) butter
- 4 tsp (20 mL) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1½ cups (375 mL) milk
- ¼ cup (60 mL) homemade or store-bought basil pesto
- 4 cups (1 L) baby greens, such as kale, spinach, arugula or a mix of your choice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil, patted dry
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) snipped fresh chives, chopped basil or your choice of fresh herbs
- Shaved Canadian Parmesan for serving
- Cut beans in half or thirds depending on bean size. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook orzo for 6 min. Add beans and edamame; continue to cook 2 to 3 min until orzo and beans are tender. Drain well and return to pot. (2) In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Sprinkle with flour and salt; cook, whisking about 1 min. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Whisk for 3 to 5 min or until smooth and slightly thickened. Whisk in pesto. (3) Add sauce to orzo mixture along with greens and sun-dried tomatoes. Season with pepper. Stir 2 min over medium heat until greens are wilted and mixture is coated. Serve sprinkled with herbs and shaved Parmesan.
- Variation: Serve with grilled shrimp on skewers or add leftover chicken. Substitute peas for edamame.
- Tip of the month: Are your portions too large? A great trick for reducing portion size is to use smaller plates, bowls and cups.
- Cooking tip: Edamame (soybeans) are often served salted as a snack in Japanese restaurants. Look for them shelled in the freezer section of your supermarket.
*Recipe courtesy of the 2016 Milk Calendar presented by Dairy Farmers of Canada. Each recipe features 100% Canadian Milk.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins