- 3 cups arugula
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 1/2 cups roasted squashed, cubed (recipe follows)
- 1 cup sweet roasted pecans (recipe follows)
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 small Bartlett pears, sliced
Brown butter vinaigrette:
- 6 oz butter
- 6 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Half shallot, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the roasted squash: Cut your squash in half and scoop the seeds. Place flesh side up on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 40 minutes or until you can pierce through the skin and flesh easily with a fork. Remove it from the oven and let it cool until you are able to handle it with your hands. Peel the skin off and discard it. Chop the squash flesh into one inch pieces. Put them back on a parchment lined baking sheet. Drizzle them with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast the pieces for another 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Once they are browned, remove pan from the oven and set aside to allow the squash to come to room temperature.
- Prepare the vinaigrette: Melt butter in a small pot over medium-high heat until browned (not burned), about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a blender, combine shallot, Dijon mustard, olive oil and vinegar and blend until smooth. With the blender still on, slowly add in the brown butter and blend until emulsified. Season to taste and set aside at room temperature until ready to serve. The butter will re-solidify once refrigerated so keep it at room temperature so that it remains pourable. (*If you have any leftover vinaigrette, you can keep it in the refrigerator for up to two days if sealed well but it will have to be thawed before use.)
- Prepare the roasted pecans: Spread out the pecans on a parchment lined baking sheet. Drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Roast at 350 degrees farenheit for about 10 mins, or until they become golden and fragrant. Remove them from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Assemble the salad: In a large salad bowl, add the arugula, spinach, squash, pecans, goat cheese and pears and lightly toss the ingredients together. Drizzle over the vinaigrette and lightly toss just until combined. Divide the salad into 6 serving plates and serve.