This is my jacked-up version of a traditional lasagna. I layer in a sauce that’s full of delicious Italian sausage meat and my secret cheese mixture. I love using Italian sausage in my sauce because it’s already got lots of herbs and spices to flavour the sauce. This recipe is perfect for meal-prep Sundays and tastes the most delicious if eaten right away but also amazing heated up during the week for lunch or dinner. I personally think something magical happens to lasagna when you leave it in the fridge overnight!
Save any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Enjoy the recipe!
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
About 1H 30M to make Serves 6-8 9”x13” Baking dish
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 box (454g) oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 8 sausages, uncased
- 1.5 L of strained tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded + more for the top
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup provolone cheese, shredded
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat a large deep skillet to medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and heat. Add the sausage meat to the skillet and sauté until the sausage is cooked through and nicely browned, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until shimmering, about 1 minute. Add the strained tomatoes and 1 cup water or more if your strained tomatoes are too thick. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, season the sauce and lower the heat. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- While the sauce is cooking, make your cheese mixture. In a large bowl, mix all the cheeses together until combined. Set aside.
- Set up your lasagna layering station: baking dish, noodles, sausage sauce and cheese mixture.
- Spread sauce to cover the bottom of the 9”x13” baking dish. Add a layer of lasagna noodles, a layer of sauce and a layer of the cheese mixture. Top with lasagna noodles and repeat with a layer of sauce and a layer of cheese. Repeat again or until all of the ingredients are used up. Top the lasagna with extra mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with non-stick foil paper and place baking dish on top of an oven tray (this will catch any sauce that boils over during the cooking process and will save your oven from a mess!) Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until the noodles are cooked through, about 40 minutes. Uncover the lasagna and switch your oven to broil setting. Bake the lasagna for about 5 minutes, watching it carefully so you do not burn the cheese on top. Broil until the top layer of cheese is nicely melted and golden brown.
- Cut the lasagna into squares and serve hot.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour