This is the first summer we are able to dine outdoors right in our backyard. Since moving into our home, we’ve had so many projects on the go that our backyard was pushed to the end of the priority list. This year, we finally have outdoor dining furniture and dining space all worked out. All that was left to do was to purchase outdoor dining pieces to enjoy our summer meals.
I went with the Summer Oasis Collection from Kitchen Stuff Plus (#Ad). After browsing the website, this collection immediately caught my eye. I love how classic the pieces are and how they reminded me of dining on a Mediterranean terrace.
Easy Looks to Coordinate
Something else I look for is easy to coordinate. Kitchen Stuff Plus’ coordinated collections makes it really easy to put together a beautiful table setting. Also, with the kids always running around, it’s a huge weight off my back knowing that nothing is breakable too. My husband and I get to enjoy our meal without worry and the boys can just be boys!
Kitchen Stuff Plus is great for all things dining and kitchen because they are budget-friendly, simple and great quality. I love that Kitchen Stuff Plus pieces integrate really nicely with my existing dining and serving ware pieces, too.
Fresh, Summer Flavours
Keeping with the theme of “easy”, I’ve included two simple recipes that you can put together for your next outdoor meal. Margarita Marinated Chicken with a Grilled Mango salsa is one of my favourite summer main dishes. It also looks beautiful because it has all the colours of summer! Same goes for my Citrus Caprese Salad. It is light, bright and delicious! Check out those recipes below.
I hope this inspires you to create your very own summer oasis in your backyard or patio this summer!
Visit Kitchen Stuff Plus to Shop the collection.
Next up, I’m going to be showing you how I used Kitchen Stuff Plus to put together the Ultimate Tapas Spread – stay tuned!
Recipe: Margarita Marinated Chicken + Citrus Caprese salad
Grilled chicken gets a bright accompaniment with this fresh, grilled salsa. The salsa also works great as a side dish with your chicken, too. With the salsa on top or on the side, this dish is definitely a summer favourite of mine!
- For the chicken:
- 2 lbs Chicken Breast or chicken Thighs
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- ⅓ cup tequila
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Cointreau
- 2 med cloves garlic, minced
- ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
For the Salsa:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil + more for grill
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 3 ears corn on the cob
- 1 large mango, chopped
- ½ medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- Season your chicken all over with salt and pepper and place in a re-sealable (gallon size) plastic bag and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients: tequila, oil, Cointreau, lime juice and zest, garlic and pepper flakes, except chicken, in a small bowl or measuring cup. Whisk to combine. Pour the marinade over the chicken, seal the bag and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 3-24 hours. Turn chicken occasionally.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Make the salsa, Peel and cut mango into large pieces and set aside. Pit and peel the avocado and cut in half lengthwise, set aside. Remove the outer husks from the corn and set aside. Rub the corn, mango and avocado with oil. Grill the corn, avocado and mango until you have good grill marks all around and they start to become soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large, heat-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap until cool enough to handle.
- Finely chop the red onion, jalapeno and cilantro and add to a medium bowl. Add the juice and zest of 1 lime. Chop the mango and avocados and add it to the bowl with the onion mixture. Shuck your corn and add it to the bowl. Drizzle the olive oil and incorporate all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill chicken on each side until cooked through. Serve with the grilled salsa and enjoy!
- Notes: The salsa can be prepared up to 2 hours before serving.
Recipe: Citrus Caprese salad
- 2 yellow, red or orange tomatoes, sliced into ¼ inch thick slices
- 2 grapefruits or oranges, peeled and sliced into ¼ inch thick slices
- Basil leaves
- Pine nuts
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- On a serving platter, layer tomatoes and citrus creating a round pattern. Tuck in basil leaves within the citrus and tomato layers. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, pine nuts, salt & pepper. Serve immediately or if you’re making this ahead of time, keep it covered with plastic wrap in your refrigerator until you’re ready to serve it.
*This post was sponsored by Kitchen Stuff Plus however, and as always, all opinions are my own.