My family is in love with Ginger Gold Apples. These beauties have a sweet and mildly tart flavor and are available late summer through to late fall. They are great for eating on their own as they have a fine texture and do not oxidize right away which make them great in salads and cut up for kids lunches. Ginger Golds also keep their shape which makes them wonderful for baking. These apples are absolutely delicious especially in my Ginger Gold Caramel Pecan Cake! A great way to savour the fall flavours!
Hope you enjoy my recipe!
Ginger Gold Apple Caramel Pecan Cake
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup agave syrup
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup canola oil
1/2 cup applesauce
2 large eggs, room temperature, beaten
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 ½ cups of peeled and chopped Ginger Gold Apples
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp milk plus additional milk to thin the glaze
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup icing sugar
1. Grease a Bundt pan and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt and set aside.
3. In another large mixing bowl place Agave Syrup, brown sugar, oil, applesauce, eggs and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
4. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low until combined. The batter will be thick. Stir in chopped apples.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake the cake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
6. Cool the cake for 10 minutes in the pan.
7. Place a large plate over the top of the pan and invert the cake onto the plate.
8. Let cool completely and drizzle with glaze.
1. In a medium saucepan, place brown sugar, butter and milk.
2. Whisking constantly, bring to boil.
3. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and cool for 10 minutes.
4. Add icing sugar and whisk. If the glaze is too thick, add more milk to desired consistency.
5. Drizzle over the cake.
6. Sprinkle chopped pecans over the glaze