Honey is so versatile and has thousands of great applications when cooking with it. Baking with honey is great too, however, there are a few things you should be aware of — it’s not a simple substitution for sugar.
Here are 5 Useful Tips on Baking with Honey
- Honey is almost twice as sweet as sugar so when using it in a recipe to replace sugar, use less. For example, replace one cup of sugar with half a cup of honey.
- Honey is hygroscopic meaning it attracts water so, reduce the amount of liquid in the recipe by 1/4 cup for each cup of honey added.
- Because honey is silky and not course like sugar, give a longer time for beating and more vigorous beating compared to using sugar in recipes, and when baking with honey.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda for each cup of honey used. This will neutralize honey’s acidity and help the food rise.
- Reduce the oven temperature by 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Honey batter becomes crisp and browns faster than sugar batter.