I love the vast array of tomato varieties that are available in the summer time. They come in so many beautiful colours that make beautifully coloured salads! I love to eat them on their own or alternatively making them into a quick and simple salad.
This simple heirloom tomato salad gets a blast of briny salty goodness with capers and it is served with gorgeous Parmigiano crisps. I think it looks beautiful served in a long and flat rectangular family-style serving dish so that you can see all of the incredible colours and ingredients.
Serve this stunning salad as part of your next barbecue or eat it all on its own using a fresh baguette to mop up all of those delicious juices.
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano cheese
- 2 pkg (340 g/12 oz each) heirloom cherry tomatoes
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) finely chopped red onions
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) capers
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped chives
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place a heaping tablespoon of Parmigiano cheese on the lined baking sheet and pat down. Repeat with the remaining cheese, spacing them ½ inch (1 cm) apart. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes until light golden. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In the meantime, cut cherry tomatoes in half and place in a large bowl.
- Whisk all remaining ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup.
- Toss tomatoes gently in vinaigrette and place on a platter. Garnish with Parmigiano chips and fresh basil.