I usually have a love/hate relationship with healthy snacks but when my friend Fina introduced me to these, I never looked back! These taste like a dessert except they are gluten and refined sugar-free. The best part about them, my kids love them! Also, we made them in one of our teen cooking clubs (that we teach at an all boys school) and they loved them!!
These are so awesome to have in the fridge when hunger strikes. I always have a batch ready to go.
This recipe is easy to make and very versatile. I give you some add-in options if you feel like mixing it up. Enjoy!
- 2 cups pitted dates
- ¾ cups roasted, unsalted almonds (See Option)
- 5-6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp rolled oats or puffed millet
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Place all ingredients except coconut flakes into the bowl of a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Continue whirling mixture in processor until it just forms a ball.
- If mixture is still dry after a few minutes, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water until a large ball forms in your food processor. This means it's sticky enough to roll into balls.
- One teaspoon at a time, form mixture into a ball and roll into coconut, pressing flakes as you roll it in your palms. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and then continuing to roll until you have used up all your mixture.
- Snowballs keep well in an air-tight container, refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
- Use half almonds and half walnuts instead of all almonds. Or add an additional a tablespoon of almond butter or peanut butter.
- You can add a scoop of protein power, too, for an extra bolt of protein.