This weeks’ harvest on the farm was an abundance of organic yellow beans. These yellow slender beauties are usually harvested young when they are most crisp, firm and tender. They have a mellow sweet and nutty flavour. I couldn’t help myself from eating them right off the plant. They are a wonderful addition to salads, soups, stews, and are great braised, roasted, steamed or just as a raw snack.
I have created a summer grilled potato salad incorporating these delicious beans and grilled them to enhance their sweetness. This salad is great paired with any meat or fish dish but also delicious on its own as a vegetarian dish.
This recipe was taste tested by my farm family and it received ten thumbs up!! I hope you enjoy it as much as they did!
I will be at the farm until late into the fall. I hope that you are enjoying my recipes! Please let me know if there are any ingredients that you would like to see me cook with – I welcome your suggestions.
Grilled Yellow Bean and Potato Salad Dressed with a Fresh Herb Pesto on Arugula
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- 2 lb. small red skin potatoes, washed and halved
- 4 cup yellow beans, washed and stem removed
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cups Arugula
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
Fresh Herb Pesto:
- ½ cup fresh parsley, stems removed and chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, stems removed and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of one lime
- ¼ tsp. each of salt and pepper
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Place grill basket on grill to heat.
- Toss potatoes with 2 tbsp. of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place seasoned potatoes in grill basket and grill 30 -35 minutes until soft and golden. Check and stir potatoes to ensure even grilling. Remove and set aside in a large bowl.
- In the meantime, prepare the pesto. In a blender or food processor, add parsley, cilantro, garlic, lime juice and ¼ cup of olive oil. Blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Toss yellow beans with the remaining 2 tbsp. of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Once potatoes are cooked, place beans in hot grill basket. Grill stirring for 6-8 minutes until beans are slightly charred and soft.
- Add beans to the potatoes and toss in the onions.
- On a large platter, add the Arugula in an even layer.
- Add the additional 2 tbsp. of olive oil to the pesto. Gently toss bean and potato mixture with pesto until well coated.
- Add the bean and potato salad on top of the arugula and serve. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 1 hour