- 2 large zucchini, cut in ¼ inch rounds
- 4 large white potatoes, cut in ¼ inch rounds
- 1 medium cooking onion, finely diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 6 medium size roma tomatoes, cut in half, grated, discard skin
- 3 cup cooked green lentils, drained
- 1 tbsp. dried mint
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, extra for brushing
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp. bread crumbs
- 7 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 10 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups lukewarm milk
- ¾ cup Halloumi Cheese, finely grated
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Turn oven on to Broil. Place zucchini rounds on one sheet and potato rounds on the other. Brush each side lightly with olive oil and broil each side for 2-3 mins until lightly golden. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- To make lentils, in a medium size sauce pan, heat 2 tbsp. of oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 5-6 mins until translucent and soft. Add grated tomato and simmer for 5-6 mins. Add the lentils and cook for 8 mins more until sauce has slightly reduced. Add fresh parsley, dried mint and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Butter the bottom and the sides of a 12 inch round and 3 inch deep cat iron skillet. Sprinkle 2 tbsp. of breadcrumbs evenly on the bottom.
- Use half of the potatoes and layer the bottom of the skillet. Add a second layer using half of the zucchini. Spread the lentil mixture evenly over the layered vegetables. Layer the remaining zucchini and then the potatoes. Set skillet aside to make the béchamel sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- To make the béchamel, in a medium sauce pot, melt butter, slowly add the flour and whisk in a quick motion until flour and butter are well incorporated. Continue whisking and slowly add the lukewarm milk. Whisk for 5-6 mins until sauce is creamy and slightly thickens. Add ground clove and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in ¼ cup of grated halloumi. Note, you can substitute parmesan cheese if you do not have halloumi. Whisk until cheese has melted. Slowly add beaten eggs and whisk quickly until well incorporated. Pour sauce evenly over potatoes ensuring they are all covered. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup cheese and top with remaining 2 tbsp. of bread crumbs.
- Bake for 45 -50 mins until top is golden, remove from oven and let stand for 10 mins before serving.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 mins