Hello beautiful October!! It’s Irene here, and I’m back with a new farm to table recipe just for you! It’s one of my favourite months of the year. The leaves are changing colours, the air is cool and crisp and of course the fall harvest is in full swing. The harvest brings an abundance of seasonal herbs and hearty root vegetables, like sage and sweet potatoes.
With cooler weather and Thanksgiving upon us, I have created a farm to table recipe to warm up your loved ones! Start your upcoming Thanksgiving meal with my sweet potato, sage and apple soup, using fresh sage and spices. I love to serve this hearty soup in small cups so guests can slowly sip and enjoy the warm comforting fall flavours.
Wishing you all a wonderful Thanksgiving from my family to yours!
Sweet Potato, Sage and Apple Soup
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 3 cup sweet potato, peeled and cut in ¼ inch rounds
- 4 large garlic cloves, skin on
- 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 small green apple, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh sage, roughly chopped
- 2 ½ cup vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp. white wine
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss garlic and sweet potato with maple syrup. Season wih salt and pepper. Roast for 20 -25 minutes until garlic and potatoes have softened. Remove garlic from skin.
- Place apple, sweet potato, roasted garlic, sage and olive oil in a blender. Blend until creamy.
- Place mixture in a large pot over medium heat. Add vegetable broth and white wine and bring to boil stirring occasionally. Lower heat and simmer for 2 -3 mins.
- Add nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with crispy fried sage leaves and serve warm.
- Prep Time: 45 mins