These past few weeks on the farm have been such an incredible learning experience for me. My appreciation for the important work that farmers do has grown exponentially. One of the kind gestures provided to me by Plan B farms is a beautiful basket full of organic produce that I have the privilege of bringing home to cook with each week.
This week, my local seasonal basket included Shiitake Mushrooms. These mushrooms are wood mushrooms which means they grow on wood. All they need to grow is a shady area that gets little to no direct sunlight. They are high in nutrients and are very low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. Shiitake mushrooms bring an earthy and rich flavour to any dish.
I have created this simple, delicious and fresh salad incorporating the shiitake mushrooms, along with the additional local fresh produce that I have received. With grilling season upon us, this salad is a perfect addition to your barbecue dishes or on its own served as an entree. Enjoy!
- Deviled Eggs:
- 6 hard boil eggs
- ¼ cup quality mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. heaping finely chopped green garlic with green stems
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Pea sprouts for garnish
- 6 Boston Lettuce leaves
- 1 large firm Hot House Tomato, cut in ¼ inch rounds
- 1 lb Asparagus spears with woody ends trimmed
- 6 large shiitake mushrooms, washed, stemmed and sliced in half
- ¼ cup of Greek feta cheese
- Pea Sprouts
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh oregano finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. green garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- For the deviled eggs: Remove the egg shells from the hard boiled eggs. Slice the eggs in half lengthwise, remove the yolk and add them to a medium sized bowl. Place the egg whites aside. Add the remaining ingredients to the egg yolks and mix well with a fork to ensure the egg yolks are broken down. Fill each egg white evenly with the egg yolk mixture and garnish with pea sprouts. You can use a piping bag if you want to get fancy! Set aside the deviled eggs aside.
- For the salad: Preheat your grill or a grill pan to high heat. Lightly coat Asparagus and Tomato slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill Asparagus for 2 to 3 mins until desired tenderness and grill marks are present. Set aside. Place tomatoes on the grill and cook each side for 30 to 40 seconds until warm and tender. Set aside. Heat a medium pan and add 1 tsp of olive oil. Once hot, add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 -6 minutes until nicely browned. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and set aside.
- For the dressing: In a bowl, mix lemon juice and vinegar with oregano, garlic and season with salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until the vinaigrette is smooth and creamy.
- On a large platter, lay out the Boston lettuce leaves. Add the grilled asparagus on top and then the tomatoes. Distribute the shiitake mushrooms and sprinkle with feta cheese. Drizzle a ¼ cup of the dressing over the entire salad. Garnish with the pea sprouts and place the deviled eggs on the salad. Serve and enjoy!