Fresh herbs are finally starting to appear at the farm. This past week on the farm, I had the opportunity to spend time in the herb fields weeding and bundling them up for the market and the weekly share baskets.
Herbs are fragrant and add flavor to many dishes. For this week’s farm to table recipe, I wanted to take you back to my Cypriot roots and share with you one of our family recipes. Growing up, fresh and dried oregano was a staple in my mother’s kitchen. She would add it to just about everything, from salad dressings, stews, soups and of course in her souvlaki marinades.
This recipe features this robust and peppery herb paired with lamb in true Mediterranean style!
Lamb Souvlaki /w Gremolata & Tzatziki
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- 500 g Greek plain yogurt
- ½ cup grated English cucumber, strained to remove water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp. fresh mint, minced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 lbs. lamb leg, fat trimmed, cut into 1½ inch cubes, about 30 cubes
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ medium red onion, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup fresh oregano leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 large hot house tomato, thinly sliced and slices cut in half
- 6 medium size skewers
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- ¼ cup Italian flat leaf parsley, finely minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon zest
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- To make the tzatziki, add all ingredients into the yogurt container and mix well. Refrigerate overnight.
- To make the lamb, in a medium bowl, add all ingredients except olive oil. Slowly whisk in oil until it is emulsified. Place lamb in a large Ziploc bag and pour in the marinade and mix well to cover all the lamb pieces. Seal and refrigerate overnight.
- Take out lamb from refrigerator. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- To make gremolata, mix all ingredients together and set aside.
- Skewer 5 pieces of lamb on each skewer. If using bamboo skewers, ensure you soak them in water for at least an hour.
- Grill lamb for 15 -20 mins, turning 3 -4 times until cooked to medium. Set aside.
- Grill pita bread for a few minutes on each side.
- Top pita bread with tzatziki, tomato and add the lamb. Drizzle with gremolata and serve with lemon wedges.
- Prep Time: 45 mins