This week’s harvest on the farm was an abundance of gorgeous greenhouse lettuce. It was rows and rows of beautiful hearty greens. These seeds were planted 55 days ago but within 25 days they sprouted and were transplanted into the greenhouse. Within 30 days of growth, they were hearty and full and ready for harvesting.
In season were two popular heads, a Butter Head which is also known as Boston or Bibb as well as the Batavian. The Butter Head lettuce is known for its tender leaves that have a sweet buttery flavour and delicate texture. The Batavian lettuce has a more ruffled crunchier texture with a juicy nutty flavour. These will be additions to this week’s local share baskets. Both greens are wonderful and delicious for salads, sandwiches and lettuce wraps.
My farm to table fresh summer recipe, features and highlights these healthy buttery greens. I have used the Butter Head (Boston) lettuce to make my Piri Piri Chicken Lettuce Wraps but you can substitute for your lettuce of choice such as the Batavian, Nevada or Iceburg.
Strawberries are also starting to make their way to farmer’s markets. Pair my piri piri lettuce wraps with Julie’s refreshing strawberry and basil Mojito punch!
Portuguese Piri Piri Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
This recipe only takes about 1 hour to prepare but keep in mind marinating time is about 4 hours.
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dry white wine
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon rind
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (about 5 oz/150 g each)
- 2 large bone-in skin-on chicken breasts (about 10 oz/300 g each)
- 12 Boston (butter head) lettuce leaves
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 cup chopped grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, stems removed
- 1 lime, cut in wedges + 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To prepare marinade, whisk together all ingredients, except chicken, in large glass bowl.
- Add chicken, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours, turning occasionally. You can also refrigerate for up to 24 hours to make it ahead.
- Preheat grill to medium setting. Reserving marinade, place chicken, skin side down, on a greased grill. Close lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn and brush with reserved marinade and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink inside. Remove and discard skin and bones from chicken and shred meat. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the avocado, tomatoes, red onion and cilantro. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble wraps, evenly divide shredded chicken among the lettuce leaves. Spoon avocado mixture on top of each chicken wrap and serve with lime wedges.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
Strawberry & Basil Mojito Punch
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 ½ cups strawberries
- 1/3 cup Fresh Lime Juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- 10 large basil leaves (stems removed)
- 1 cup white Rum
- 1 cup Seltzer/club soda
- Garnish: Basil sprigs, lime wedges, fresh strawberries
- In a large pitcher, combine strawberries, lime juice, sugar and basil leaves and crush with a muddler or wooden spoon until the sugar is incorporated about 1 minute. Add the rum and stir gently.
- Fill 4 rock glasses 3 quarters full with ice, divide mojito among them, and top each, with about ¼ cup seltzer. Garnish with basil sprigs, lime wedges or strawberries.
- Tip: Use chopped frozen strawberries and frozen quartered limes in the place of ice cubes to keep punch cold without watering it down.
- Prep Time: 15 mins