- 540ml (19 oz) can of chickpeas with their juice
- 2tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- ¼ cup green garlic and fresh herb citrus sauce (recipe above)
- Yucca Chips
- 2 large yucca roots
- 2 cup vegetable oil for frying
- Over medium heat, boil chickpeas with half their juice for a few minutes, until chickpeas are hot through.
- Take pan off heat and use a fork to mash them to a chunky consistency. Add olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix gently. Set aside to cool.
- In the meantime make the yucca chips: In a large size heavy sauce pan, add oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Line a platter with paper towel.
- Peel off the thick brown skin from the yucca. Use a mandolin or vegetable peeler and thinly slice yucca into strips, length wise. It is important that they are thinly sliced so the chips are crispy.
- When oil is hot, add yucca but don’t over crowd the pan. Fry while slowly turning the yucca to ensure they cook to an even golden brown colour. Remove the chips and place on platter lined with paper towel. Repeat and fry all of the remaining yucca chips in batches. Season lightly with salt and set aside.
- Place cooled smashed chickpeas on a serving plate. Drizzle with sauce and serve with yucca chips for dipping.
- Prep Time: 35 mins