My first working day on the farm was spent harvesting Chives and greenhouse shallots. Both chives and shallots are part of the onion family. They add a light onion flavour to any dish calling for onions. Chives are one of the most popular of fresh herbs and are deep green in colour. Shallots look more like small red onions but much milder in taste. I have created these delicious savoury tarts that incorporate both of these to bring a wonderful flavour and texture. These are great as appetizers or even as a side dish to any meal!
- 8 phyllo sheets, thawed
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ cup goat feta, crumbled
- 225 mL sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and finely chopped
- 4 tbsp. chives, finely chopped and a few extra for topping
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup crème fraiche
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Brush 2-12 cup muffin tins with oil. Set aside.
- Place one phyllo sheet on a clean surface (Ensure you cover the remaining sheets with a damp clean towel so they do not dry out) brush sheet with melted butter. Be gentle when handling the sheets so they do not tear. Add another sheet on top and brush with butter. Repeat process with another two sheets. You should have a stack of about four phyllo sheets.
- Cut the phyllo stack into 12 squares, firmly press a phyllo square, buttered side down into each muffin cup. Repeat with the other 4 phyllo sheets.
- Bake for about 7 mins or until the phyllo is lightly golden brown.
- To make custard: Lightly beat eggs in a medium size bowl. Add the crème fraiche, heavy cream and season with salt and pepper, beat lightly until smooth.
- Fill each cup with 1 tbsp. of feta, ½ tsp sundried tomatoes and divide the chives among the 24 cups and then top each with 2 tbsp. of the custard.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 mins until the custard is firm.
- To make crispy shallots: Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a small heavy bottom sauce pan. Add shallots and fry until crispy and golden.
- Drizzle crispy shallots and a few chopped fresh chives on top of the cooked tarts and serve warm.