- 1 cup cooked thin Vermicelli rice noodles, prepared according to package directions
- 18 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked
- ¼ cup english cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 24 fresh mint leaves
- 24 fresh basil leaves
- 12 medium cilantro sprigs
- Twelve 6-inch spring roll wrappers
- Dipping Sauce:
- ¼ cup hoisin
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped unsalted peanuts
- 1 small red thai chili pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
- For the dipping sauce, whisk together hoisin, garlic, vinegar and sesame oil. Place in a dipping bowl and top with chili’s and peanuts. Set aside.
- For the spring rolls: Cut shrimp in half horizontally and place in a bowl. Arrange your ingredients in the following order, shrimp, rice noodles, basil, mint, cilantro, cucumbers, bean sprouts.
- Place a clean damp kitchen towel on a flat working surface. Fill a wide shallow bowl with hot tap water. Submerge a spring roll wrapper in the bowl with the hot water. Let it soak until soft, about 10 seconds.
- Lay the wrapper down flat on your damp towel. Working quickly as you don’t want the wrapper to dry out, lay 3 shrimp halves in a row, cut side up, just above the center of the wrapper, leaving about 1 inch of space on each side.
- Layer a small portion of rice noodles over the shrimp. Lay two pieces of mint across the noodles. Then lay 2 basil leaves and top with one sprig of cilantro. Lay 3 -4 cucumber match sticks and top with 4 -5 bean sprouts
- Fold the bottom edge of the wrapper on top of the filling. Then tightly but be gentle so you do not tear the wrapper, pull the left edge of the wrapper over the filling and the folded bottom edge, putting pressure on the roll with your fingertips to make the roll as compact as possible.
- Pull and roll the left side over the right side of the wrapper, keeping the filling as compact as possible. Press the edges of the wrapper together to close. Wet a paper towel and cover rolls to keep them from drying out while you roll remaining. Repeat this process until all 12 of the spring rolls are assembled. Serve with the hoisin sauce.
- Prep Time: 45 mins