The garlic mellows in flavour as it cooks with the chicken, and becomes buttery, rich and sweet. Use it to spread on your warm baguette – it’s that good!
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 6 to 8 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 40 cloves garlic, peeled (about 3 heads of garlic)
- 2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, chopped
- 2 sprigs marjoram or oregano, chopped
- 1 tsp. crushed fennel seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup whipping cream (35%)
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley, for garnishing
- French bread or baguette, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet or shallow Dutch oven over medium to medium high heat. When oil is hot, add the chicken pieces skin side down. Cook the chicken until well browned, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to chicken to a large plate.
- Add butter, garlic, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, crushed fennel seeds and bay leaves. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add wine, water and chicken back to pan. Place tight fitting lid on the pan. Transfer to oven. Bake until chicken is cooked and tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove chicken to serving platter. Remove bay leaves. Add cream to pan and bring just to a boil over medium high heat. Pour sauce and garlic over chicken. Garnish with parsley and serve with lots of bread.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour