A few months back I mentioned that I had taken part in some e-learning videos with Centennial College. Read about it HERE. Well, the videos are finally being released and here is the first one I did for Classic Tiramisu. This recipe is near and dear to my heart and my favourite dessert (and name sake for this blog!)
Espresso, chocolate and creamy mascarpone cheese make this the ultimate dessert. I can’t get enough of it. There are lots of ways to re-invent this recipe but sometimes, you just need to enjoy it in its classic form.
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
You can’t beat the classics. Master this recipe for traditional Tiramisu.
- Coffee dip
- 1 ½ cups espresso coffee
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Zabaglione filling:
- 5 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup Marsala wine (if unavailable, substitute with another sweet wine like Port or Madeira)
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese at room temperature
- 1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream for the base
- 10 oz. savoiardi (ladyfinger cookies) (approximately 40)
- 2 tbsp. bitter cocoa powder
- Prepare the coffee dip: Prepare a strong espresso coffee, about 1½ cups. Dissolve 2 tsp. of sugar in the coffee when the coffee is still hot. Let the coffee cool to room temperature.
- Prepare the zabaglione filling: Beat the egg yolks in a heat proof bowl or in the bowl of a double boiler until they become fluffy. Beat in the sugar and the Marsala wine. Transfer the bowl over a pan of simmering water, and whisk until the cream thickens. The zabaglione will thicken just before it boils, when small bubbles appear. Mash the mascarpone cheese in a bowl with a rubber spatula until creamy. Add the zabaglione into the mascarpone cheese and beat to mix very well. Whip the cream. Fold the whipped cream into the zabaglione cheese cream until smooth.
- Assemble the cake: Lightly soak the ladyfingers in the coffee, one at a time. Place them in one layer in a container about 12 x 8 inches, approximately 2 inches deep (or a 30 x 20 cm container, approximately 4 cm deep). Evenly distribute half of the zabaglione cream over the ladyfingers. Repeat the step with a second layer of ladyfingers and top with the rest of the cream. Sprinkle with the cocoa powder and refrigerate for about 3-4 hours.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins