This recipe will make 12 large squares!
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon chai tea leaves
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 whole large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup candied ginger, chopped small
- Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 (8oz) package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, all the dry spices, chai tea leaves and baking soda.
- In your mixer, beat the butter with the sugar until fluffy. One at a time, add the eggs until fully combined. Mix in the vanilla and freshly grated ginger. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour and spice mixture. Blend until completely combined. Fold in the candied ginger.
- Scoop the batter out of the bowl and into the greased pan. Spread it out evenly. With a greased spatula (sprayed with cooking spray, because the batter is pretty sticky), smooth out the batter.
- Looking at the pan you may think that there just isn’t enough batter, but it rises up quite nicely!
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. While squares are baking, make your Cream Cheese icing.
- Combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of your electric mixer and beat until smooth. Beat in the vanilla. Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix slowly until you get a smooth icing.
- Check your squares in the oven after they’ve been baking for 20 minutes. When a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean with a few moist crumbs, you know they’re done!
- Cool completely before cutting. If you can’t wait, chill them a bit in the fridge too, they taste fantastic cold! Spread the cream cheese icing over the cooled squares. Add sprinkles, or candied ginger, or brown sugar on top! Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins