Bulgur wheat is a whole wheat grain that has been cracked and partially pre-cooked. As a whole grain, it is naturally high in fiber and low in fat. Freekeh is a highly nutritious grain made from roasted green grains. It is a good source of protein and also high in fibre.
Growing up in a Cypriot family, grain salads were always part of our daily meals. This recipe, in particular, is delicious because the beets and goat feta along with the parsley and tomatoes give freshness to the grains.
Make this salad a part of your next menu plan!
3 tbsp. (45 mL) olive oil
1 large shallot finely chopped
1 cup (125 mL) bulgur, rinsed in cold water and drained
1 (250 mL) cup freekeh, rinsed in cold water and drained
3 ½ cup (875 mL) chicken stock
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
2 medium cooked beets cubed
3 scallions thinly sliced
1 cup (250 mL) cherry tomatoes halved
½ cup (125 mL) fresh parsley chopped, stems removed
100g (3½oz) feta, crumbled
1 tbsp. (15 mL) Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. (30 mL) minced shallots
2 tbsp. (30 mL) finely chopped parsley leafs
2 tbsp. (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
½ cup (125 mL) olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. In a medium heavy bottom sauce pan, heat the oil and sauté shallots until soft.
2. Add the bulgur and freekeh and stir to coat each grain. Pour in the chicken stock and season with salt and pepper.
3. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes until stock has evaporated. Remove from heat then remove the lid and place a tea towel on top. Place the lid back on top of the tea towel. This will help with the moisture and make the grains fluffy. Set aside to cool while you prepare the vinaigrette.
4. In a bowl, mix mustard with shallots, parsley and season with salt and pepper. Add the apple cider vinegar and then slowly whisk in the olive oil until the vinaigrette is smooth and creamy.
5. Once the bulgur and freekeh have cooled, fluff with fork and place in a bowl. Add the beets, tomatoes, scallions and parsley. Gently mix well.
6. Add a ¼ cup of the Vinaigrette and toss gently. Sprinkle with feta and serve.
SERVINGS 4 | PREP & COOK TIME 30 minutes
Irene for Daily Tiramisu