It’s exciting when you’ve always been a fan of a brand and then they choose you as one of their blogger ambassadors. I am over-the-moon excited that Breville approached me this year to be one of theirs! I have always loved the sleek design of Breville appliances and whenever I was in the market for a new appliance, I would always look to Breville for cutting edge design and function.
It’s not every day that you come across appliances that you can honestly say make your life easier for so many reasons. Breville Canada sent me their latest innovation, the Smart Oven Air, and let me take a breath before I tell you what this incredible appliance is capable of…Okay, so the Breville Smart Oven Air’s functions include toast, broil, bake, bagel, roast, warm, pizza, proof, air-fry, reheat, slow cook and dehydrate…this appliance is like nothing I’ve ever seen before.
If you’re looking for the perfect Mother’s Day gift this year, trust me when I say this would make any busy mother weep, but those good tears, gracious tears, because you will have made her life so much easier with this gift. Not only that, for some reason, a counter top stove makes cooking less intimidating. Well, it must, because my husband actually uses it! Guys, this is huge deal because my husband doesn’t cook but he actually thinks this appliance is cool. This is all I need to win me over but here is why else I love the Breville Smart Oven Air.
I put the Breville Smart Oven Air on my counter and decided to use it for 2 weeks straight as my only appliance (so I got rid of my toaster and I opted to not use my stove). I wanted to see what it would be like to integrate this appliance into our everyday routine, and it passed with flying colours — It is a welcome addition to our little family kitchen! With the use of Breville’s patented Super Convection, cooking cycles for roasting, air-frying and dehydrating, are accelerated by as much as 30 per cent than with your regular oven which means we are saving energy too!
We are a small family of four so I love how it heats up so quickly, preheating takes under 10 minutes, which means it save energy (it prevents me from heating up my large oven to re-heat one small dish). I don’t own a microwave either so it’s perfect for re-heating leftovers. Even simple things like baking a batch of simple banana muffins, chocolate chip cookies or a quick frittata for brunch is so fast and easy (it even fits my cast iron skillet). The compact oven is large (1 cu ft.) capacity to accommodate common cookware – like 12 cup muffin tray or Dutch oven.
I also feel safer using this counter-top oven when cooking with my kids. They feel less intimidated by it too, since it’s so compact, so it’s been fun cooking because I am cooking with them a lot more!
Annoying situations are also made easier…One day at lunch, my youngest son asked for pasta (so I reheated it), then he asked for pizza (so I made him a quick pita pizza), and then he asked for a bagel (so I toasted him a bagel). I had to cut him off because, well, kids these days could be ridiculous with all of their demands. My point is, I was able to prepare each of his requests in under 5 minutes each! There is also the phase cook feature – which allows you to program two different cooking functions to run in sequence. It’s great for cooking multiple dishes.
One of the features that I wanted to try was the Airfry function which is achieved through the “Super Convection” feature. The Breville Smart Oven Air generates high heat combined with extreme air circulation, which is ideal for crispy air frying. This means I can make some of my kids favourite dishes, like chicken fingers, fries, and chips, but in a healthier way—No deep-frying! I created some beet and sweet potato chips as a snack and I was so impressed with how crispy they got! They are deliciously addictive and I’m totally okay with my kids eating chips if they are not deep fried and are actually made of healthy veggies—a unique and fun snack that we have totally added to our menu at home.
Here is a recipe for Beet & Sweet Potato Chips with a Dill & Creme Fraiche Dip:
- 2 large beets, peeled and sliced thinly (paper thin, if possible)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced thinly (about ⅛th inch thick)
- 1 Tbsp Extra-virgin Olive Oil, divided
- Sea Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Add your sliced beets to a large bowl and your sliced sweet potatoes to a separate large bowl (to prevent the beet colour from running all over the sweet potato). Pat your vegetable slices down with a paper towel (removing the starchy moisture will help them get crispier.)
- Divide the olive oil among both bowls, as well as salt and pepper. Use your hands to incorporate into the sliced sweet potatoes first, then the sliced beets.
- Turn on your Breville Smart Oven Air and set to AirFry (335 degrees Fahrenheit). Lay out your sliced rounds of beet and sweet potato on the designated AirFry rack and AirFry for 15-18 minutes. Keep an eye on the chips and remove any that are browning too much and set aside. Slightly golden edges is okay but you don’t want them too brown. Transfer crisped chips to a parchment-lined baking sheet, sprinkle with more sea salt while they’re warm and then let cool. Transfer to a serving plate.
- I serve my Beet & Sweet Potato chips with a simple dip of crème fraiche (1/2 cup), garlic (1 clove, crushed) and freshly chopped dill (1 Tbsp). Combine in a bowl and serve alongside the chips.
The only feature I haven’t tried yet is the dehydrate feature – but I am on it – I have so many recipes I want to try for that, like cinnamon banana chips – a snack I tried a while back that I would like to make myself at home. Select any temperature between 80F – 480F for up to 72 hours. This is perfect for dehydrating at low stable temperatures.
Oh, and by the way, thanks to my amazing friends at Breville Canada, I’m also GIVING ONE AWAY to one lucky reader. Check back on Thursday for the giveaway details! I will also be posting a video on Thursday as well – so you can see the Breville Smart Oven Air in action!
I hope the Breville Smart Oven Air makes your home happier like it has for my home (my husband cooks now!)
(*This post was created in partnership with Breville Canada. However, and as always, all opinions are my own. I have been a fan of Breville for as long as I can remember so this was a perfect partnership for Daily Tiramisu!)