I’ve been wanting to share this quick, healthy and easy family recipe for a long time now.
This is a special recipe from my Father, Eric. I finally got his famous recipe for Pasta with Chickpeas (in Italian it’s called “Pasta con Ceci”). It is one of my favourite recipes of his (along with his Pasta with Rapini recipe I featured HERE) and the best part is that it’s super easy, hearty and healthy too!
This dish is done in six simple steps. It features Barilla Ditali and chickpeas (one of my favourite proteins!) Barilla pasta is like a blank canvas, the possibilities are endless and they are also known around the world for their high-quality pasta that cooks al dente every time. In this recipe, you can easily make some changes to suit the tastes of your guests. Swap the Ditali for a gluten-free elbows pasta and now you’ve got a gluten-free dish!
Pasta is the perfect easy, affordable and delicious meal solution for entertaining or any day of the week. The ingredients in this dish are really accessible and I almost always have them in my kitchen so I can cook up this dish in a snap – and the leftovers are equally as yummy!
Speaking of leftovers, this pasta keeps extremely well and I think something magical happens the longer it sits in the refrigerator (but be sure to keep it sealed and eat it within four days). I have even tried dressing the cold leftover pasta like a salad and it tasted great! So, this dish could easily become tomorrow’s pasta salad for lunch!
I hope you all enjoyed my Father’s super easy Pasta with Chickpeas Recipe and that you’ll try it with your own family soon!
*This post was created in partnership with Barilla Canada and I was compensated. However, and as always, all opinions are my own.
- 4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium stalks celery with leaves, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp parsley finely, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1 28 oz can chickpeas
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- Salt + black pepper, to taste
- 1 package (454g) Barilla Ditali pasta
- ½ cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- Put a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet to medium high heat and add onions, garlic, celery, parsley, and oregano, and cook until the onions and celery have softened (about 6 minutes).
- Add the chick peas (with their liquid) and bring the mixture to a boil. Let it simmer for about 8 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if needed.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the large skillet with the chickpea mixture. Combine the pasta and chickpea mixture together and sprinkle with the Pecorino Romano cheese. Serve immediately.