Poached cod, fork tender sliced potatoes, red peppers, hard-boiled eggs and a generous drizzle of olive oil. This is my spin on Bacalhau com Batatas. It’s pretty simple to make, and keeps well as leftovers too.
- 800g (1 1/2lbs) frozen Codfish, thawed
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large onions, sliced thinly
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 6 Medium potatoes, boiled just until fork-tender and thinly sliced
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, shell removed and sliced
- ¼ cup roasted red pepper, sliced
- Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional garnish: chopped parsley, black olives
- In a medium pot, cook the cod in boiling water for about 5 to 8 minutes, depending on thickness, until cooked through. Drain and set aside. Once cooled, slice thicker pieces of cod to make them even with thinner pieces.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat 1 to 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium-low heat and sauté onions and garlic for about 15 to 20 minutes, until caramelized (should amount to about 1 cup of caramelized onions).
- Coat a large (about 8 x 10-inch), deep oven-safe skillet with olive oil; cover the bottom with a small layer of cooked potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Continue to add layers to the dish: add caramelized onions/garlic, cod, followed by eggs, roasted red pepper and a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Repeat layer one more time (potatoes, onions/garlic, cod, eggs, roasted red pepper, olive oil, salt and pepper).
- Top with greased foil paper. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Garnish with sliced black olives and chopped parsley, if using, and a drizzle of additional olive oil. Serve warm.
- Prep Time: 45 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins