I made this as an Easter weekend brunch dish, and I completely forgot about how delicious it is!! So, I wanted to share it with you all. This is one of those dishes I would’ve never eaten as a young person. But now, I really appreciate a traditional Portuguese dish, like this one. If you’ve ever tried Portuguese cuisine before, you would have likely come across this dish before. Poached cod, fork tender sliced potatoes, red peppers, hard-boiled eggs and a generous drizzle of olive oil. This is my spin on Bacalhau com Batatas. It’s pretty simple to make, and keeps well as leftovers too.
Try it with your family this holiday long weekend!
(Photo By: Michael Rao)
- 800g (1½lbs) frozen Codfish, thawed
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large onions, sliced thinly
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 6 Medium potatoes, boiled just until fork-tender and thinly sliced
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, shell removed and sliced
- ¼ cup roasted red pepper, sliced
- Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional garnish: chopped parsley, black olives
- In a medium pot, cook the cod in boiling water for about 5 to 8 minutes, depending on thickness, until cooked through. Drain and set aside. Once cooled, slice thicker pieces of cod to make them even with thinner pieces.
- In a non-stick skillet, heat 1 to 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium-low heat and sauté onions and garlic for about 15 to 20 minutes, until caramelized (should amount to about 1 cup of caramelized onions).
- Coat a large (about 8 x 10-inch), deep oven-safe skillet with olive oil; cover the bottom with a small layer of cooked potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Continue to add layers to the dish: add caramelized onions/garlic, cod, followed by eggs, roasted red pepper and a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Repeat layer one more time (potatoes, onions/garlic, cod, eggs, roasted red pepper, olive oil, salt and pepper).
- Top with greased foil paper. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Garnish with sliced black olives and chopped parsley, if using, and a drizzle of additional olive oil. Serve warm.