June 12th marks three years since the heavens took my husband’s sweet Babcia from us. One of my fondest memories was spending time in the kitchen, watching and learning her traditional Polish recipes.
One of our family favourites was her blueberry perogies. I remember our excitement when we would visit and she would just be finishing a warm batch upon our arrival. They were so soft on the outside and inside a warm sweet blueberry filling would melt in our mouth. In honour of her beautiful soul and kind heart, I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
We miss and love you Babcia Ola!
- 300 g cake flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 60 ml warm water
- 1 egg white
- ¾ cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. fine sugar
- 1 cup crème fraiche
- 1 tsp. vanilla sugar
- To prepare dough: in a medium size bowl, mix flour with salt.
- Mix melted butter and warm water and set aside.
- Make well in the centre of the flour mixture and crack the egg in the center. Use a fork to whisk the egg in the flour. Add the butter water mixture and mix. Knead until soft and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a floured glass bowl and cover with a tea towel and let stand of 30 mins.
- Beat egg white until just frothy, about a minute. Set aside.
- To prepare blueberry filling: in a bowl, place blueberries with sugar and flour. Mix well and set aside.
- Cut dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll out one piece at a time on a lightly floured surface until it is thin enough to work with, but not too thin so that it tears. Keep remaining pieces covered so they do not dry out. Cut 5 circles using a 3 inch cookie cutter, perogies cutter. Brush a little egg white around the edges of the circles, and spoon some blueberry filling into the center. Fold the circles over into half-circles, and press to seal the edges. Place perogies on a cookie sheet.
- To cook perogies: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop perogies in one at a time and cook in batches, ensuring not to crowd them. They are done when they float to the top about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a platter.
- To make dip: in a dipping bowl, place crème fraiche and vanilla sugar, mix well. Serve on the side with periogies.