20-Minute Mexican Chorizo Tacos
Another quick weeknight meal! These 20-minute Mexican Chorizo Tacos are the quickest meal you will ever make. I use a store-bought jar of salsa with my taco meat because it saves the time of cutting up tomatoes and onions and salsa is already cooked! You can adjust the spice and seasoning level to your liking.
Chorizo comes in all different spice levels and seasoning levels so it is best to try some after it’s cooked to see how much extra heat and seasoning the mixture needs. Keep in mind that some chorizo sausage is already cured which means it’s cooked. Read the packaging or ask the butcher just to be sure. If they are in fact cooked, you’ll only need to reheat the meat which means this dish will come together faster!
When I’m preparing these for my boys, I use less jalapenos and I use a mild salsa because they are sensitive to spice. However, if you like spice, feel free to add hot salsa and even extra hot sauce!
These are also great to make for breakfast or brunch by adding a scrambled egg in the taco. It tastes so good and will likely keep you full all day. I tried a taco with a soft scrambled egg while I was in Mexico and it was my favourite meal with chilaquiles coming in at a close second!
My favourite toppings for my 20-Minute Mexican Chorizo Tacos include, but are not limited to: pico de gallo, shredded cabbage, hot sauce, sliced avocado, queso fresco cheese, cotija cheese, sour cream. Chorizo is so naturally flavourful and the salsa hydrates the mixture well so if y ou don’t have any toppings on had, you’ll still love these tacos!
Lastly, you can use flour or corn tortillas. Heat them up in the microwave wrapped in a slightly damp paper towel to keep them from drying out. Keep them warm while you cook your chorizo filling filling and prepare the toppings. I’ve even tried these with hard taco shells or as tostados and the mixture works very well in those too.
I hope you try this recipe with your family. This 20-Minute Mexican Chorizo Tacos recipe saves me often. I keep sausages on hand in my freezer at all times because they are so flavourful and easy to work with. I have a good feeling you will add it into your weekly meal rotation!
Want more quick and easy meal ideas? Check out my 20-Minute Easy Feta, Cheddar and Sweet Potato Pasta or my 30-Minute Easy Take-Out Style Kung Pao Chicken.
30-MINUTES EASY TAKE-OUT STYLE KUNG PAO CHICKEN
20-Minute Mexican Chorizo Tacos
- 4 (12 oz) Chorizo Sausages, uncased
- 1½ cups of mild salsa
- optional: 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- fresh Lime juice
- Topping options: pico de gallo, sliced avocado, queso fresco cheese, cotija cheese, sour cream, shredded cabbage, hot sauce
- Heat a large, greased skillet to high heat and add the uncased sausage meat to the skillet. Cook until the meat is cooked through. Add the jar of mild salsa and the chopped jalapeno (if using) into the skillet and combine it with the chorizo meat. Cook until the salsa is heated through. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Warm your tortillas. Add chorizo mixture to warmed tortillas and add desired toppings.